The ENCOURAGE Program will empower young people who are experiencing current disadvantage which impacts them emotionally and professionally. The mentees will complete a Life Skills Program to increase their self-esteem and self-confidence, as well as improve interpersonal and employment skills. This will be followed by a 3-4 month volunteer opportunity where they will work with a mentor on a one-on-one basis building on targeted goals developed during the Life Skills Program.
Youth mentoring provides a structured and trusting relationship that brings young people together with caring individuals who offer guidance, support and encouragement.
- Empowers young people to develop to their fullest potential
- Is a strategy to develop active community partnerships
- Fosters caring and supportive relationships
- Involves positive role modelling
- Increases future employment opportunities
Youth mentoring is an effective way of providing young people with a supportive and enriching experience. Research shows that youth mentoring positively impacts on the lives of both young people and mentors.